Registering Life Events After Brexit
Navigate Up
Sign In

Registering Life Events After Brexit

If you are registering a life event such as a birth, marriage or divorce and the certificate/decree is issued by the British authorities, you are now required to have these documents apostilled before you submit them at the High Commission in London or the Public Registry in Malta.

This requirement came into effect on 01/01/2021 as a result of the UK’s withdrawal from the European Union. Documents issued before this date still need to be apostilled if they are going to be used in the EU. You can find information on how to get your British documents issued with apostilles by visiting this website:​.

Kindly note that an apostille is one way of legalising a document so that it can be used abroad with countries that also adopt this form of legalisation. Therefore, the terms ‘legalised’ or ‘apostilled’ can be used interchangeably for British documents since they refer to the same thing.

The authority responsible of this process in the UK is the Legalisation Office within the FCDO. Applications can be submitted directly to them using the link above or with a registered agency who can submit the application on your behalf for an additional fee.